Start an online business they said! It will be easy, they said! If you believe the things that places such as Go Daddy, Wix or Square Space tell you, it really is as easy as buying a name and using their free systems to build your business.
Sadly that could not be further from the truth. Yes you can build a website very easily but the reality of owning an online business is far more in depth and these companies are making millions off failed business attempts because without knowing how to actually build a business you cannot be successful.
If you are thinking about starting an online business then here are the 7 most important things you need to know before you start:
- It’s hard work. If you think you work hard at your “job” then think again. You will work more than you can even imagine, and especially in the early years.
- You need a plan. If you follow their advice and buy a business name and set up a website and that’s it, then you will fail. 100% guaranteed. You need to know who your market is, what your products/services are, is there a demand for it, how will you deliver it and so much more.
- You need a thick skin. You will cop abuse and negativity and you need to know how to handle it. Tip: Getting angry won’t cut it! People love to tear down those that are succeeding or even appear to be succeeding. Put in place a plan to deal with it so you know what to do every time.
- Your friends and family will often be your least supportive followers. For those that don’t work in the online world they still see it as a hobby or just something you do to waste time. They most likely will not take your business seriously. Know that from the start and never turn to them for advice or rely on them for help EVER. Learn this one from day one and you will save yourself a lot of heartache!
- You will not replace your income within a few short months or even in the first year. Unless you stumble upon the holy grail of unheard of products or services there is rarely anything new to the marketplace. You have your unique way of delivering your products/services but it takes time for you to build a following and then an income. The income comes last! Be prepared for that.
- You don’t need to pay for expensive software to be able to build a profitable business. Beware of chasing the shiny objects and never actually achieving anything other than spending money you can’t afford to spend.
- THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET!!! This one is crucial to learn. When you start in the online world you will see ad after ad telling you of some new expensive system or program that will be the way to you creating a six figure income. It is all bullshit! The only way to create a six figure income is to go back to point 1 and 2 of this list! There are many people making lots of money by selling their courses when in actual fact it isn’t the course that makes you the money. Sure you may be a bit more focused for a little while and even benefit from some of what they teach you but the reality is, very few people actually become six figure earners because of one course or one mentor.