5 REASONS BLOGGING IS A CRUCIAL PART OF YOUR MARKETING TOOLBOX
Mention the word “blog” to a business owner and the response is usually either a blank stare or an emphatic “no way”. The reality however, is that a blog can increase your business without costing you anything other than your time or the time of an employee, and it is minimal time at that.
Most people think that blogging is some weird activity that people with too much time on their hands take part in and that it has no real use in the business world. The reality is that it can be one of your most profitable tools for increasing your customer base and your bottom line.
Let’s look at the top 5 reasons why you need to get a blog started or resurrect the one you have left behind:
- Engagement – We live in a world that is becoming increasingly disconnected. Families no longer live within earshot of each other and communities are now suburbs where people rarely connect. That means that we turn to the internet to find out the information we would have once talked to family and friends about. Regardless of what your product or service is, there is someone looking for information about it and wanting to find someone that knows about that topic. Having a blog that regularly provides information will give potential customers a sense of connection to your business, your staff and you.
- Search Engines love fresh content – While there are many search engines the most popular one is Google and Google loves to bring its users, up–to-date, fresh and relevant content. If you are updating your blog regularly (once a week is all you need), then this shows Google that you are providing value for your visitors and that is something they love to promote through their ranking of your site. The more RELEVANT content you add the more Google will reward your site.
- Showcase your products/services – Your blog gives you another way to share information about your products. Think about your own habits when looking for a product or service… do you research before you buy? Your potential customers are no different to you so give them what they are looking for by showcasing one product or service each week via your blog.
- Show off your customers/clients – We all love to be in the spotlight (even those that say they don’t). What better way to create word of mouth advertising that money can’t buy than highlighting a customer or client each week on your blog. If they have their own business it gives them exposure to your readers and even if they don’t have a business it is a way to say Thank You for being a special customer. Look at your regulars, there will be some that have been with you for years or add value to your day – start with them and build from there. Make sure you let them know they are the Client of the Week, put a flyer up in your business or on your website and make a big deal on social media. All points lead back to you!!
- It’s low or no cost marketing – Nothing keeps costs down more than utilising what you can access for free. Utilising your website by adding a blog to it means you are gaining exposure, adding value for money for clients and keeping the search engines happy, and all for relatively low or no cost. It takes 30 minutes a week to update your blog (at most) – either do it yourself or get a staff member to do it for you. It doesn’t have to be a big job but it does have to add value for your site visitors and customers.
Once you make blogging a part of your business routine you will wonder why you didn’t do it earlier.